Koda's Cowboy Coffee
Something deeply ingrained in Koda Coffee's identity is a deep connection with the outdoors. Many of our customers share this passion and so we decided to share how to brew a great coffee over a flame without any fancy gadgets. Also, there's something deeply gratifying about a minimalist approach to just about anything.
What you'll need:
- Cheesecloth filter optional
- Metal pot or cup
- Flame (a backpacking stove or campfire will do the trick)
How to make it:
- Start your fire and bring your water to a boil. If you got your water from a nearby stream or lake, let it sit at a rolling boil for a minute to be safe. Let the water settle for a few seconds so that it is not quite boiling when you add in the coffee. If you add in the coffee too quickly it'll probably boil over, but not the end of the world.
- Add in your coffee (one large scoop per cup) either directly to the water or inside of the cheesecloth filter.
- Allow it to steep for 2-3 minutes. Stir it a couple of times, then allow the coffee sit again for 2 more minutes.
- Adding a little cold (and clean) water will help the grounds to settle to the bottom.
- Drink it straight from your tin or pour it into another cup while doing your best to keep the grounds separate.